RECIPE: HEALTHY, DELICIOUS HOMEMADE TOMATO RICE SOUP
Tomato and Rice Soup
SERVINGS: 4 ; COOK TIME: 50 min
1/2 cup Wehani, black Japonica, or long-grain wild rice (If you can’t find Wehani or black Japonica rice, use long-grain brown rice instead.)
1 tablespoon (organic*) butter or margarine
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 stalk (organic*) celery, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed with garlic press
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 (BPA-Free*) can (28 ounces) (organic*) plum tomatoes in juice
1 3/4 cups (preservative-free*) vegetable broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 cup water
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh parsley leaves, chopped
*ChemicalFreeSkinny recommendations _________________________
1. Prepare rice but do not add salt or butter; set rice aside.
2. Meanwhile, in 4-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and carrot and cook, stirring occasionally , until tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic and thyme; cook 1 minute.
3. Add tomatoes with their juice, broth, salt, pepper, bay leaf, and water; heat to boiling over high heat, breaking up tomatoes with side of spoon. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, covered, 30 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
4. Spoon one-third mixture into blender; cover, with center part of cover removed to let steam escape, and puree until almost smooth. Pour into large bowl. Repeat with remaining mixture.
5. Return soup to saucepan; heat over high heat until hot. Remove saucepan from heat; add cooked rice and chopped parsley.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (based on individual servings)Calories: 190; Total Fat: 6 g; Cholesterol: 8 mg; Sodium: 960 mg; Carbohydrates: 32 g; Protein: 6 g
(Source: thedailygreeen;Originally published in